DANG, it has been a little over 3 months now since I first found the Financial Independence community (around July of 2018). I cannot believe that I am finally doing this. We are actually about to go on this journey together and I cannot be more ecstatic about it! I have come so far, yet I have just started on my path to true financial independence. I would like to set the stage for this blog and start the first post with a little background about myself and what I hope to get out of this blog.
Who am I? I am just your everyday average Joe who is 26 and currently living a great life. To be clear to anyone who stumbles across this blog, I am not retired at this point in my life. I wanted to create the name TheYoungReitreeBy33 as it is catchy and it outlines my goal to be financially independent by 33. I grew up in a very nice household having two amazing parents who were hardworking and always taught my older brother and I the core values of respect, hard work, and above all else to always give back to others. I have had a crazy and eventful life up to this point. I will go into much more detail in a later blog post, but for the time being, I have had the opportunity to live across the US from Dallas to Buffalo to Fayetteville, AR to Bethlehem (the holy land 😉), PA to Orlando. My career and schooling have given me this great blessing and I wouldn’t change anything for where I am currently at in my life.
Why Create a Blog? The question that I have continued to ask myself now for a few months. I have been debating on whether to create a blog to track my journey or just continue down the path without sharing anything. I think the main reason I am going to take a leap out and do this is because I want to hold myself accountable. Whether nobody ever reads any of my posts or I have the privilege to reach hundreds of readers, I am excited to follow-through with this. There have been too many times in my past where I would start something but never finish it. Time to see where this path to FI will take me and to document all my steps along the way.
What I Plan to Share? The main point of this blog will be to document my path from knowing absolutely nothing about the Financial Independence community to working my way to Financial Independence Optional Retirement (FIOR). I heard this term on a podcast I listened to a while back and it really resonated with me. There are a ton of people who are all about the FIRE movement (and I love that they are all about it!!) but I want to ensure people understand exactly what I am going after.
What Are My Goals? I have so many different goals it is hard to write them all down here in a concise condensed down version, but I will write out what I currently read every morning during my Miracle Mornings.
- I commit to becoming financially independent where my investments will be able to sustain my spending levels by the age of 33 no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to save 75% of my take-home pay each month no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to engage in more conversations with random strangers to learn about all the unique people there are in this world no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to engage in random conversations with girls I have never met no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to work out twice a day no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to eat healthy foods in which keep me energized and alert no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to read 2 Mr. Money Mustache articles each day no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to read 2 books per month no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to listen to 1 Impact Theory or related video every day no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to use the counting down from 5 method once a day no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to track my finances at the end of every month no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to empty my mind of negative thoughts no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to meditating at least once a day no matter what. There is no other option.
- I commit to doing a Miracle Morning each morning no matter what. There is no other option.
I feel this is a good starting point for setting the stage for this blog and I am very excited and grateful that you have read up till the end of this post! There is a lot more to come on this journey.
Please also follow me on my Instagram account to see when I started tracking my path to FIOR at : TheYoungRetireeBy33