“The object of life is not to be on the side of the masses, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” – Marcus Aurelius
Are you currently following down the path of the masses? Living what marketers are selling as the American dream? To me this would be something along the lines of:
- Graduating college with student loan debt
- Getting a safe job with a respected company
- Living a lavish lifestyle always needing to have the latest and greatest gadgets
- Spending thousands of dollars on that perfect engagement ring
- Purchasing a home you can hardly afford because you feel you deserve it
- Buying the brand new car to take on a car payment you didn’t need
- Getting that promotion at work and immediately having lifestyle creep
- Watching Dancing With the Stars every week (Bigger Pockets Beardy Brandon’s favorite go to!)
- Going out and spending way too much money on alcohol that isn’t good for your body
All too often we drift down the path of the masses because, well, it is easy. Doing what others do does not require intentional thought. Let’s be honest with ourselves, when we get home from our day job the last thing we want to do is think. It is much easier to spend all your cognitive stamina at a job and then come home to lay down on the couch and turn the TV on. This is the path of the masses in the current day and age of technology.
What if you took one step off the path of the masses each and every day? What if you challenged yourself to do one thing that made you uncomfortable each week? What if you started listening to audio books or podcasts on your commute to work?
Straying away from the masses is not something easy to do. You must be intentional with your time, thoughts, and energy. Are you willing to put in the time and effort to set yourself and/or family up for the rest of your life? If you want to change your life (for whatever reason), start with paving a path less traveled.
- Don’t drift down the path of the masses because it is easy
- Challenge yourself to do one thing a week that makes you uncomfortable
- Listen to audio books and/or podcasts on your commute to work
Enjoying the content? Best way to keep up to date or reach out to me is through Instagram. IG @TheYoungRetireeBy33.